I have been an art therapist for over 10 years. I work with all ages and types of diagnosis.
Art Therapy explores feelings through the creative process of making art. When making art it reduces stress and anxiety.
Benefits of Art Therapy:
- Improve social skills
- Process past trauma
- Reduces stress
- Improve self-awareness
- Express emotions and thoughts
- Recognizing own strengths and weaknesses
- Increase creative skills
- Learn coping mechanisms
- Experience feels of empowerment
(This is only information, not in replacement of seeking therapy from a professional in your area)
Most clients love the concept of an art journal. An art journal ling can take place of client’s writing. Some don’t like to write, words don’t come easy to them and others rather express their thoughts and emotions using other mediums.
The supplies needed are:
- paint brushes
- paint-acrylic or tempera/watercolor
- colored pencils
- oil pastels
- soft pastels
- art sketch book for a journal-8″x11″
- Choose the supplies you want to work with for the art journal entry.
- Close your eye, or look at a spot on the floor, take a few deep breaths.
- Relax your body and focus on your breathing.
- Think of a word that describes your day or your feeling.
- Once you have an idea of how to express your day or feelings using the creative process, open your eyes and begin creating.