Today’s focus is the closet. I have been taking time sorting through my closets and reorganizing and decluttering. It’s been a slow process. Because let’s face it, I rather not do this.
I started with my dresser. I put my PJs in there. Also if it is winter, I store my summer tops, vice versa.
Some things are being donated from this pile.
Then I place all tops on my bed from the closet.
I sorted through those. Dividing it into sections,
Sections/categories to consider
- Lounge pants
- Sweat shirts
- Long sleeves lounge
- Long sleeve for work
- Summer/spring wear
- Dresses and skirts
- Pants for work
And look, I have been looking for this sweater
It’s amazing how it looks. I washing some light weight clothes. I might be able to start incorporating those in my winter outfits soon.
- wear my skirts and dresses to work again.
- Wear what I have without needing to add anything to my closet.
- if I need to buy something it has to fit in with: do I need it, can I use it more than once and is it neutral enough it can do with other items
- I like color, minimalism is not about wearing white, cream, tans, neutrals and black. it is about simple life and if color in your clothes makes you happy and it adds to joy of life, then do it but have rules on how you buy color and fabrics. those rules can be do I need it, can I use it for more than once, is the fabric something I can use for more than one season.
- Where do you live? I live in a state that has seasonal changes sometimes it can be 3 seasons in one day! Yes, a changing of clothes is not unusual. Shop for the seasons that seem to be longer, for me it is winter and summer. So my summer clothes are also something I can wear in part of the fall. My winter clothes, I can wear some in the beginning part of the spring. It’s adding color, jewelry and a lightweight cardigan to the outfit that can make it feel more like spring.
This is the donation pile.
My suggestions for decluttering are:
- Find a block of time to work on it
- what is your vision for this area?
- make a plan-are you going to reorganize or will you be decluttering and donating?
- put items in sections/categories-lounge wear, work, date night, active wear, etc
- make a dedicated area for donation pile and one for throwing away
- Start noticing areas you have more than enough and areas that might need to be replaced
- try a challenge of not shopping for new clothes for a year, see what you can do without and what you can be creative with
- minimalism is not about having one of everything, it is about finding what your needs are, and staying with the vision of simple living.
4pawsartstudio, just has not been making art lately. I have been cross stitching, as my previous post gave you an update about Rue Paris. I will be knitting today in-between my client sessions. It will be snowing later, so I might just take another day to relax and tiddy up my downstairs. I am making barbeque chicken in the crock pot and later will make chicken patties for later in the week. I am working on tidying up my pantry and freezer. I have a goal to plan my meals and thought to wait until most items are eaten and I need to return to the grocery store. That is something to stay posted for in the future, is my menu planning. Art and painting will return, I am needing to get my house organized better with less clutter. (paper shredding is in serious need to be priority this week)!!!